These soft peanut butter blossom cookies are a classic sweet treat, satisfying your craving for the classic combination of peanut butter and chocolate in one delicious cookie.
And you already have all the ingredients in your pantry! In this easy peanut butter cookie recipe, you'll simply mix the batter, roll into balls, coat in sugar, and bake. Easy peasy and yummy in your tummy!
🤔 What is a peanut butter blossom?
The peanut butter blossom cookie actually has a quite interesting story.
Back in 1957, a woman named Freda Strasel Smith of Gibsonburg, OH was baking a batch of peanut butter cookies. She wanted to add chocolate chips to her recipe, but then realized she didn't have any in her pantry. But she did have Hershey's Kisses. So she substituted the kisses for chips. She then decided to enter her "Black Eyed Susan" cookies into the Pillsbury Bake-Off contest. While her cookies came in third place, they have since become of the most famous cookies to result from the competition. Pillsbury eventually changed the name to Peanut Butter Blossoms and the rest is yummy history.
While I don't have Freda's original recipe, I developed my own recipe for soft peanut butter cookies and I'm sure you'll enjoy them as much as I do.
The cookies are soft and fluffy, rolled in a layer of sugar, and topped with a perfect Hershey's Kiss. Whether you use traditional Kisses or Hugs (like I do), you'll love the delicious combination from the first bite. And in this recipe, there's no need to refrigerate the dough, as it's ready to roll into balls right away.
- Salted butter
- Granulated sugar
- Light brown sugar
- Creamy peanut butter
- Vanilla extract
- All purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Extra sugar for rolling cookies
- Hershey Kisses, Hugs, etc.
See the recipe card below for full list of ingredients and their measurements.
🥣 Making the cookie dough
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Using a stand mixer or handheld electric mixer, cream together butter and sugars for about two minutes.
Next, add peanut butter, egg, and vanilla extract, and mix together until smooth.
In a separate bowl, stir together the dry ingredients.
With the mixer turning on low, slowly add dry ingredients to wet, and mix just until all ingredients are incorporated together.
Take heaping tablespoonfuls of dough and roll into balls measuring about 1-½".
Roll the ball in sugar, making sure to cover all sides.
Place the dough balls on a baking sheet and bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until cookies are lightly browned.
When the cookies are finished baking, let them cool on a baking rack for about 8 to 10 minutes before adding the Hershey's Kiss on top. This way, they'll have cooled enough so that the Kiss won't melt, but are still soft enough to press the Kiss into the cookie.
Now take a bite and enjoy!
Love sweet treats? Check out a few of our favorites now!
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes
- Mom’s Best Chocolate Chip Cookies
- White Chocolate Cranberry Cookies
- Biscoff Butter Cookies
- Triple Chocolate Cupcakes
- Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- Easy Fudge Recipe
- Homemade Cinnamon Rolls
- Chocolate Cake in a Mug (ready to eat in 5 minutes!)
- Quick & Easy Blueberry Crisp
- Berry Chantilly Cake
- Sour Cream Coffee Cake
Did you make my Soft Peanut Butter Blossom Cookie recipe? Let us know in the comments below!
Soft Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies
- ½ cup salted butter, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar, packed
- ⅔ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-½ cups all purpose flour, sifted
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Extra sugar for rolling cookies
- About 36 Hershey Kisses, Hugs, etc.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Using a KitchenAid stand mixer or a handheld electric mixer, cream together butter and sugars for about 2 minutes.
- Next, add peanut butter, egg, and vanilla extract, and mix together until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, stir together dry ingredients.
- With the mixer turning on low, slowly add dry ingredients to wet, and mix just until all ingredients are incorporated together.
- Take heaping tablespoonfuls of dough and roll into balls measuring about 1-½″.
- Roll the ball in sugar, making sure to cover all sides.
- Place the dough balls on a baking sheet and bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until cookies are lightly browned.
- When cookies are finished baking, let them cool on a baking rack for about 8 to 10 minutes before adding the Hershey’s Kiss on top. This way, they’ll have cooled enough that the Kiss won’t melt, but are still soft enough so press the Kiss into the cookie. Now take a bite and enjoy!
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Kat @The Hobbit Hold
These cookies look so delicious yet easy to make. Perfect for any occasion! Thanks for sharing the recipe with us, I'd love to try them soon.
They really are so easy to make and you'll be enjoying them in under 30 minutes! Thanks so much & enjoy! 🙂
Ooh these look amazing! One of my favorite cookies, but I have never used Hugs in them and I love that idea!
I love using the Hugs for a delicious twist of white & milk chocolate! Thanks so much & enjoy! 🙂