This rich and creamy butterscotch milkshake is so delicious and refreshing! Sure, a bowl of ice cream is good any day of the week, but when it’s a special day, you need a milkshake. And a shake made with homemade butterscotch sauce is definitely the way to go. The nostalgic flavor of this treat will bring you back to your childhood lickety-split!
What’s The Difference Between Butterscotch Sauce and Caramel Sauce?
The two are very similar. They’re both made by creating the sauce in a pot on the stove. The main difference, though, is that caramel sauce uses granulated white sugar, while butterscotch sauce uses brown sugar for a deeper molasses flavor.
Ingredients (makes 3 milkshakes)
1 c milk
3 c vanilla ice cream
3/4 c butterscotch sauce
Homemade whipped cream (optional)
Butterscotch chips (optional)
Butterscotch Sauce (makes 3/4 cup)
4 Tbsp salted butter
1/3 c dark brown sugar, packed
1/2 c heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
Pinch of flaky sea salt
Start by making the butterscotch sauce. In a pot, over low-medium heat, melt the butter. Once the butter is melted, add the sugar and stir well until smooth. Next, add the heavy cream and bring to a boil.
Once the pot has reached a boil, turn down the temperature and let it simmer or slow boil for five minutes. Lastly, remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract and flaky sea salt. The sauce will thicken a bit as it cools.
Easy Butterscotch Milkshake Recipe
Once the sauce has cooled a bit, you’re ready to make your butterscotch shake!
Simply add all ingredients to a blender and blend for about 30 seconds. Serve immediately with homemade whipped cream, a drizzle of some extra butterscotch sauce, and a few butterscotch chips for fun. Enjoy!
You can replace the milk and ice cream with options like:
- Soy, almond, or coconut milk
- Homemade banana ice cream
- Frozen yogurt
Do you have a sweet tooth like me? Check out a few more of our delicious recipes:
- Homemade Whipped Cream
- Banana Ice Cream
- Fudgy Nutella Brownies with Salted Caramel Sauce
- Easy Fudge Recipe
- Chocolate Cake in a Mug
- Strawberry Shortcake Waffles with Nutella
- Mint Chocolate Ganache Cheesecake
- Homemade Cinnamon Rolls
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes
- Irish Coffee Chocolate Mousse
Did you make this Butterscotch Milkshake? Let us know in the comments below!
Do your friends enjoy delicious recipes too? Share this article with them and let us know what you all think by commenting below and rating this recipe!
Tag your photos with #maplewoodroad on social media and share them on our Facebook page! Have any questions about this recipe? Ask on our Maplewood Road Community Facebook page and I’ll be happy to help. 😊
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter for more great recipes!
Butterscotch Milkshake (makes 3 milkshakes)
- 1 c milk
- 3 c vanilla ice cream
- 3/4 c butterscotch sauce
- Homemade whipped cream (optional)
- Butterscotch chips (optional)
Butterscotch Sauce (makes 3/4 cup)
- 4 Tbsp salted butter
- 1/3 c dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 c heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of flaky sea salt
- In a pot, over low-medium heat, melt the butter.
- Once the butter is melted, add the sugar and stir well until smooth.
- Next, add the heavy cream and bring to a boil.
- Once the pot has reached a boil, turn down the temperature and let it simmer or slow boil for five minutes.
- Lastly, remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract and flaky sea salt. Let cool for a few minutes. The sauce will thicken a bit as it cools.
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.