Edible Brownie Batter
My edible brownie batter is a guilty pleasure that's completely safe to eat. With no eggs and heat-treated flour, you can satisfy your chocolate craving in less than 10 minutes!
Servings: 2 cups
- 6 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- ½ cup light brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1-½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup all purpose flour, heat treated
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- ½ cup chocolate chips or chopped chocolate
The first step is to heat-treat the flour, so it's safe to eat. Simply sprinkle the flour onto a baking sheet and bake at 350℉ for 5 minutes. Then let cool.
Once the flour has cooled, whisk together melted butter and sugars.
Add vanilla extract and whisk again.
Now, using a wooden spoon, mix in the flour and cocoa powder.
Next, add the milk and heavy cream and stir until smooth.
Finally, stir in chocolate chips and other mix-ins.
- Brownie batter is edible? This no-bake edible brownie batter recipe, with heat treated flour and no eggs, is completely safe to eat anytime!
- Heat treated flour: It's not just the raw eggs in a batter that can cause problems. The reason we're heat treating the flour is to make it safe to eat in its raw state. As flour is a raw product, after all, we want to make sure we kill any bad bacteria that could otherwise make us sick. By heating it up in the oven for a few minutes, as outlined above, the flour is now safe to eat.
- Tip: While whisking together the butter and sugar, the sugars will better dissolve into the butter if you combine them while the butter is still warm.
- Gluten-free flour - If you'd like to make this recipe gluten-free, just replace the all-purpose flour with a gluten-free flour
- Dairy-free - To make this recipe dairy-free, replace the milk, heavy cream, and butter with dairy-free (vegan) options instead
Easy mix ins
If you love brownies, then you're going to love this brownie batter, but why not get creative and add in all your favorite mix-ins:
- Nuts - Brownies are delicious with some chopped walnuts mixed in
- Peanut butter - When you're finished mixing the batter, stir in a little peanut butter, for a classic flavor combination
- Oreos - Who wouldn't love a few Oreo cookies crumbled into their brownie batter?
- Nutella - This chocolate hazelnut spread goes with everything
- Chips - Get creative with your chips and stir in some white chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, butterscotch chips, toffee chips, mint chips, or anything you can imagine!
- Ice cream - Just slightly thaw ice cream, then swirl it together with some brownie batter for an a la mode treat
- Jam - Stir in some raspberry jam at the end for a fruity sweetness
- Salted caramel sauce - Drizzle your edible brownie batter with my homemade salted caramel sauce
- Mini marshmallows - Mix in a few mini marshmallows for a fun combination
- Candy - Stir in your favorite candy, like M&M's, Reese's Cups, or any other candy treat...this is especially fun for the kids (and us big kids too)!
- Pretzels - Mix in some crumbled pretzels for a sweet & salty crunch
- Storage: Store your edible brownie batter in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week. Or, roll your batter into a ball and cover tightly in plastic wrap and freeze for several months.
- How to make this from a box mix: Even easier! Just don't forget that you'll still have to heat treat the boxed mix first. Then, mix in the melted butter, milk, and cream until it's reached the desired consistency and enjoy. And don't forget the fun mix-ins!
- Expert tip: You can enjoy my edible brownie batter right away or chilled in the fridge first. Your batter may taste a little grainy from the sugar, which can't totally be helped as it's not baked. If you find it to be a little grainy for you, try chilling in the fridge first. While the brownie batter will be a bit firmer after being chilled, it's also delicious!
Calories: 2196kcal | Carbohydrates: 328g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 102g | Sodium: 684mg | Potassium: 760mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 242g | Vitamin A: 2588IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 216mg