Southern Tuna Salad
My southern tuna salad will take a regular ho-hum tuna sandwich to wow, that’s delicious! With fresh ingredients adding extra flavor and crunch, this quick and easy recipe will be the new star in your lunch rotation.
- 10 ounces canned white albacore tuna packed in water, drained
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped celery
- 1 hard boiled egg, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sweet relish
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
Using a fork, flake the drained tuna into a bowl.
Add celery, hard boiled egg, and red onion. Stir all together.
Add relish, mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, and freshly cracked black pepper, and mix until all ingredients are well combined.
Serve immediately as a sandwich, with lettuce and tomato…or on a bed of lettuce, with tomato, onion, and slices of hard boiled egg. Enjoy!
- Tuna: When making a tuna noodle casserole, my go-to is light tuna in oil, but for a sandwich, I always prefer the lighter flavor of white albacore in water.
- Celery: Freshly chopped celery adds a nice bit of crunchy texture to this salad.
- Hard boiled eggs: Adding hard boiled eggs to this salad gives a bit of extra structure. Check out how to cook the perfect hard boiled egg.
- Relish: My personal preference is sweet relish, whether on a hot salad or in my southern tuna salad. If you prefer dill relish, then by all means, use that.
- Red onion: The sweet yet sharp flavor of a red onion adds delicious texture and flavor.
- Mayonnaise: An absolute must in a tuna salad recipe.
- Dijon mustard: The slightly tangy flavor of Dijon mustard adds just a hint of mild spice.
- Old Bay: A perfect combination of zesty spices to add that touch of southern cuisine flavor.
- How long does tuna salad last? Kept tightly covered in the refrigerator, this southern tuna salad will last 3 to 5 days.
- Suggestion: If you enjoy this, then you're gonna love our crab cakes!
Calories: 384kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 37g | Fat: 23g | Sodium: 823mg | Potassium: 423mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 329IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 53mg